The goal of the Medical Volunteer Peer (MVP) Review Program is to help West Virginia Orthopaedic Society members evaluate the merits of cases facing potential litigation by peer review of the care provided. The outcome of an MVP Review will be a non-binding, non-legal opinion by a peer review committee for use by a physician and his or her counsel to help make a more informed decision about defending or settling a potential litigation claim, and to assist the member in evaluating and improving the quality of care provided.
MVP Review Program Guidelines
- The program will be made available to all current members of the West Virginia Orthopaedic Society (WVOS).
- Program participation is on a voluntary basis, although some fees may be involved.
- Members, through their lawyer(s), may request a review by three WVOS members. Reviewers will be selected from outside the WVOS member’s geographic area. Reviewers will be selected on a rotating basis based on geography and self-identified familiarity with procedures in question. Reviewers must have signed the Expert Witness Affirmation Statement developed by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Members, through their legal counsel, have the right to omit specific reviewers.
- All fees are matters between the member’s lawyer and the reviewers. Reviewers are asked to keep fees as low as possible as a service to other members.
- Identifiable patient information must be removed before files are submitted for review, in compliance with HIPPA requirements.
- File information and reviewer opinions will be shared only between the WVOS member’s lawyer(s) and reviewers.
- Following the review, a reviewer may be asked to serve as an expert witness. This arrangement is solely between the reviewer and the WVOS member’s lawyer(s).
- The WVOS office will retain information only on how often a reviewer is selected and the procedures each volunteer reviewer has self-identified to review.
Participation in the Program
To participate as a reviewer, you must:
- Complete the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ Expert Witness Affirmation Statement
- Complete the MVP Review Program Reviewer Application Form.
To be reviewed, you must:
- Complete the MVP Review Program Review Request Form.
- Search the panel of approved Reviewers.
- Sign the MVP Review Program Panel Assignment Form.
You must be registered and logged in to complete the forms: