There are two ways to dispose of opioids and other unused prescription medications. This information can be helpful if you have old or unused medications that you didn’t take, or when you need to empty a medicine cabinet for a friend or loved one who no longer lives in their home or who has passed away.
One way is to dispose of them in your home:
- MIX pills with trash (used coffee grounds, kitty litter, dirt) or ground charcoal
- PLACE in sealed bag
- THROW bag in trash
The other way is to return them to a participating pharmacy in your community, to your local law enforcement office or to participate in a “DEA Drug Take-back Day” event in your community.
Please see links and information below for additional information:
Below is the list of stores where Walgreen’s has drug take-back kiosks. In addition to that, all their pharmacies nationwide carry Rx Destroyer, which is a product that patients can purchase to dispose of their medications safely at home.
- Charles Town 40 Flowing Springs Way
- Charleston 655 Washington St., W.
- Martinsburg 101 Forbes Dr.
- Morgantown 897 Chestnut Ridge Rd.
- Chapmanville Police Department, 349 W Tiger Ln, Chapmanville, WV 25508 | (304) 855-4570 | Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, 102 Industrial Blvd. Kearneysville, WV 25430 | (304) 728-3205 | Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office, 409 Virginia St E Rm 120, Charleston, WV 25301 | (304) 357-0210 | Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Logan Sheriff’s Office, 300 Stratton Street, Room 209, Logan, WV 25601 | (304) 792-8590 | Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Man City Hall | (304) 583-9631 | Call for details
- Nicholas County Sheriff’s Office, 700 Main Street, Suite 3, Summersville, WV 26651 | (304) 872-7880 | Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Ohio County Sheriff’s Office, 51 16th Street, Wheeling, WV 26003 | (304) 234-3680| Call for details
- Pocahontas County Sheriff’s Office, Marlinton, WV | (304) 799-4445 | Call for details
- Ranson Police Department, 700 N Preston St, Ranson, WV 25438 | (304) 725-2411 | Call for details
- Weirton Police Department, 3304 Pennsylvania Ave, Weirton, WV 26062 | (304) 723-0360 | Call for details